The writer in me just can’t help but look back at the 2010 season and not see parallels of a perfect story. In my mind, the story of this team could not have been written any better.
They have the perfect elements of a movie.
#1. The Unlikely Hero - The Team
#2. The Hero’s Character Flaw - The Offense
#3. Enabling Circumstances - Good Pitching, Weak Division
#4. The Villian - The Padres
#5. What The Hero Must Overcome - Padres, Themselves, Everyone’s Predictions, Superior Offensive Teams
Also their season retains the structure of a great movie.
They come out of the gates with guns blazing.
• Opening Sequence.
• Renteria comes out of the gate and goes 11 for 16 in the first 4 games.
• Giants go 8 for first 11 games
• Plot Point 1, end of Act 1. Our hero starts on his path/The first trouble arises.
• April 20 Johnathan Sanchez pitches a 1 hitter. Giants still lose to Padres 1 to 0.
• May 26 Lincecum gets handed first loss in Washington. Giants drop to 4.5 back.
• Re-enforcements arrive. Momentum builds.
• May 29 Posey gets called up
• May 29 Burrell gets a minor league contract
• Mid Act 2 drama. A main character is sacrificed/killed off.
• July 1 Bengie Molina is traded
• The End of Act 2. All Hope is Lost
• August 25, Lose to Cincinnati 11 to 12, Giants 6.5 games back.
• Beginning of Act 3. A Fresh Idea Helps Push Towards Solving The Problem
• Giants barely edge out the Padres who make a heroic las minute charge.
• Resolution. All problems are solved. (relatively)
• The Giants outscore play off opponents by 18 runs scoring an average of almost 4 runs a game.
• Edgar Renteria blasts an unlikely 3 run home run in game 5 of the world series to tie the beginning of the movie to the end.